How to get a static IP address for your machine?
If your system doesn't get a dynamic IP address assigned by a router or server, you can set a static IP address to your computer and connect it to the network. If you already know what IP address you want to set to your computer, follow the instructions below. In case you don't know we can still help you with a private IP address that can be used on your home network.
- Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar and click 'Settings' then 'Control Panel'.
- In the control panel, double click on 'Network Connections' to open it.
- In the network connections window, right click on 'Local Area Connection' (default connection) and click properties.
- While the 'General' tab is highlighted, select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click 'Properties'
- Now choose the following radio button: Use the Following IP Address and then fill in the information regarding IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Enter the IP address as 192.168.1.1, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, leave the gateway address blank or if you know the IP address of your router enter it as the gateway address. There will be two radio button below. Select 'Use the Following DNS Server Address' and enter the DNS server information.
- Click Ok to apply the changes and come out of the properties window as well.
That's it. You have now set a static IP address for your computer. If you would ever want to change the static IP address to something else, use the steps above and set the IP address, Subnet mark, gateway and DNS server address to whatever you want.